David Miller is Professor of Sociology in the Department of Social & Policy Sciences at the University of Bath in England.
Research and Editorial work
David's research interests mainly revolve around the role of communication in the constitution and reproduction of power relations.
Knowledge Exchange and media engagement
- Expert testimony: David has given advice and expert testimony in a number of terrorism related cases in the UK, Australia and the US.
- Research with trades unions and NGO's: David has undertaken research in partnership with a range of organisations including Unison, the Scottish Trades Union Congress, Friends of the Earth, Cordoba Foundation, Scottish Islamic Foundation, Office of the Scottish Information Commissioner and others.
- Public interest research and reporting: David is co-founder of Spinwatch a website devoted to public interest reporting on spin lobbying and political corruption (on which he maintains an occasional blog), and Editor of Powerbase, a wiki that monitors power networks and conflicts of interest.
- Advocacy on lobbying and ethics in public life: Spinwatch is a founding member of the UK based Alliance for Lobbying Transparency and of the EU oriented Alliance for Lobbying Transparency and Ethics Regulation (ALTER-EU), which campaign for regulation of lobbyists and enhanced ethics rules for politicians and civil servants.
- Media engagement: David is often called upon by the news media as a commentator and regularly writes for mainstream and alternative media outlets. His articles appear on the Guardian's Comment is Free, and many other outlets.
- Advisory roles: David is an advisor to the BRussels Tribunal on Iraq, the Centre for Investigative Journalism based at City University, London and the Centre for Community Practice in Glasgow's Govanhill.
Some recent books available to buy online - view more of David's publications via the menu.